Login Form  

H.W. Mailing Lists  

Enter your e-mail to join the H.W. community mailing list, and get involved.   Learn More

--- or ---

Enter your e-mail to join the H.W. notifications only list for just official announcements. This is a very low traffic mailing list.
Welcome, Guest

Niacin and Breastfeeding
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
If you've got a question, ask. If we don't answer, then somebody else probably will.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Niacin and Breastfeeding

Niacin and Breastfeeding 30 Nov 2011 14:58 #127

• Jocelyn
  • ( Visitor )
Just wanted to clarify something before buying supplements that Sarah recommended I take to help with my 7 month old's rashy, dry patches of skin that bother her (Zinc and Niacin). I exclusively nurse her so I want to make sure I don't take anything in amounts exceeding what would be safe for her. The Zinc I decided on (Zinc Orotate from Advanced Research Labs, 60 mg) seems to be fine. I think I read there is 9.5 grams of Elemental Zinc per 60 mg so shouldn't be a problem there. My question is the Niacin because everything I'm reading says not to take it while nursing because it does pass into breastmilk; however, I'm thinking thats if you take it in dosages large enough to lower your cholesterol. I was going to buy 100 mg tablets and slowly work up to find my right dose but I need to know if anyone is aware what would be safe while breastfeeding, if anything. My other question is brands. There weren't a lot of options for the zinc so that was easy but having a little more trouble deciding on the best brand of 100mg true Niacin.

Re: Niacin and Breastfeeding 30 Nov 2011 15:50 #128

The purpose of taking niacin for your daughter is that a small amount will pass through the breast milk. Just use a very small amount, such as 50mg.

Also, you should give in to any cravings that you have, because your body probably knows what it needs better than we do. That includes sugars, fats, anything, no matter how silly it seems.

In our conversation with you, we were impressed that you are doing almost everything right. We expect for your daughter to grow up strong, healthy, and intelligent.

Re: Niacin and Breastfeeding 30 Nov 2011 15:59 #129

• Jocelyn
  • ( Visitor )
Aw, thanks for the compliment Sarah! Okay, good thing I asked about the dosage or I would have been taking way too much.

Re: Niacin and Breastfeeding 26 Dec 2011 14:41 #139

• Jocelyn
  • ( Visitor )
Just wanted to let you know that your recommendations seem to be helping. For the past few weeks I've been taking 50mg of Niacin and 50 mg of Zinc Orotate, plus using your lotion on her. Granted, its just a small spot on the back of her neck but it definitely seems to be helping! I forgot to take the supplements yesterday and noticed some red spots coming back and she was scratching again this morning. She has some white scarring from where it scabbed and scarred but I'm sure that will disappear as she grows.

As a sidenote, taking even 50mg of Niacin without enough food in your stomach (or often even with food in your stomach) is no joke! Holy moly...I'm not a fan of milk, but that right there gets me chugging it straight out of the carton to make the pain go away. LOL
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds