Hypothyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland has been weakened by poor nutrition, thyroid toxicity, bad lifestyle, stress, and too much medical 'help'. A victim of hypothyroidism has a body that can no longer adequately produce vital hormones. The establishment considers it to be yet another "autoimmune disease"; unilaterally rejecting all legitimate causative factors. The immune system only attacks things that it detects as being toxic.
The thyroid gland is suppressed by the intake of soy; an ingredient in the great majority of processed foods, and even in most of the so-called healthy alternatives. Additionally, fluoride is extremely damaging to the thyroid. Until the 1970's, doctors prescribed fluoride to patients with hyperthyroidism (an over-active thyroid) in order to cripple it. It was shown to be effective at 2 mg. per day. People in the present are estimated to be consuming 2-10 mg. per day from tap water, non-stick cookware, toothpaste, pharmaceuticals, infant formula, processed cereals, and sodas. Hypothyroidism is also recognized to be caused by certain medications, such as lithium.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Mood swings
- Cold sensitivity
- Weight gain
- Heavy or irregular menstrual periods
- Dry skin
- Brittle hair, skin, or fingernails
- Hair loss
All S.S.R.I. anti-depressant drugs feature fluoride as a main ingredient, so these psychiatric drugs dramatically contribute to thyroid disorders, and they are the primary cause of hypothyroidism in some cases. S.S.R.I. drugs are notorious for causing nutritional deficiencies, due to their overall toxicity, and because they dramatically disrupt the serotonin that is used for digestion. Contrary to the dishonest drug company marketing, only 10% of an individual's serotonin is used by his brain, while about 80% of it is used by his digestive system. Without the proper nutrients, hypothyroidism cannot be cured, because those nutrients are needed to balance the hormones and to strengthen the thyroid. S.S.R.I. drugs furthermore reduce usable calcium in the body, and thereby render magnesium unusable; since magnesium and calcium are interdependent. Magnesium deficiencies are rife in modern society because people do not eat enough green leafy vegetables. A severe magnesium deficiency can lead to sudden heart attacks, and lesser deficiencies cause heart attacks when monosodium glutamate (MSG) is consumed. People who have hypothyroidism are much more likely to have heart problems, because the hormones that are produced by a healthy thyroid help to strengthen heart contractions and regulate heart rhythm.
The medical establishment prescribes synthetic hormone pills to hypothyroidism patients, and patients must continue taking them for the rest of their lives. This is because these artificial hormones cause a body to stop producing its own thyroid hormones permanently; similar to what is experienced with diabetics taking synthetic insulins. In both cases, the result is perpetual customers who will forever be reliant on the system, because the medications destroy the organ that they supposedly help. Be forewarned that there is no cure with orthodox therapies, and there may be no turning back.
The medical establishment's tests for hypothyroidism are unreliable, so multiple consecutive tests may produce differing results. As a result, some people are drugged for the rest of their lives for a disease that they did not actually have, until they began the drug regimen. Those who are given the pharmaceutical hormones develop hypothyroidism that is much more difficult to cure than those who did nothing at all, or those who turned to the alternatives immediately.
"Dessicated natural thyroid does not have FDA approval and its availability became quite limited in 2009. Many consumers complained to the ombudsman because of their preference for dessicated natural thyroid as thyroid replacement medication over the FDA approved synthetic versions"
In the 1890's, the original conventional medicine (what is now alternative medicine) began using all-natural hormones to treat hypothyroidism. These natural hormones were extracted from animal sources. In 1958, the chemical industry first began producing the completely synthetic versions of the hormones, which were marketed as being identical to the natural hormones that had been used for decades. Soon thereafter, the F.D.A. began playing a political game to suppress the use of the significantly safer, animal-based hormones for no other reason than increasing industry profits. Behind its corrupt shenanigans was the fact that chemical formulations can be patented, but natural hormones cannot. It avoided a political backlash by not officially banning the natural hormones, but it nevertheless accomplished the same goal by re-categorizing natural hormone treatments as "not approved" therapies. Thus, a doctor risks his medical license, and increases his lawsuit risk if he prescribes the natural hormones. It is another example of the F.D.A. eliminating competition for its top pharmaceutical partners using cunning methods. Treating hypothyroidism has become much more expensive and dangerous as a result. The new synthetic hormones are addictive to the extreme, as only chemistry can provide. It follows the same addictive pattern seen with cholesterol medications, hypertension medications, diabetes medications, cancer treatments, anti-depressants, and pharmaceutical record-holders like Heroin (from Bayer). The chemical industry's synthetic hormones cause both heart disease and cancers, but they help to cover a doctor's assets.
How To Cure Hypothyroidism
In alternative medicine, there is very little difference in the curing of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. This is because the treatments involve assisting the thyroid to heal, in either case. Curing thyroid disease requires a long-term commitment for a period of at least a year. Creating this problem took years of self-poisoning, so fixing it is neither quick, nor easy. Hypothyroidism medications are addictive, and the body becomes reliant on them, which is why the mainstream establishment maintains that people must take them forever. Those who have been taking hypothyroidism medications for years must slowly wean themselves from the drugs. Abruptly stopping these medications will result in extreme fatigue, and additional thyroid problems.
- Discard all non-stick cookware
- Eliminate soy: Soy suppresses thyroid functions, imbalances hormones, and it has been shown to cause goiters (an enlargement of the thyroid gland) in previously healthy individuals, which shows that it disrupts iodine usage.
- Adhere to an alkaline diet: This is extremely helpful when curing any chronic disease. Reference the Body pH and Disease article to guide you.
- Balance estrogen levels (women): Excess estrogen slows down the thyroid gland. This means eliminating birth control medications, increasing the fiber in the diet, and avoiding all non-organic meats. Reduce dairy intake, because milk often contains lots of estrogen.
- Exercise: Find a physical activity that is fun, and do it often. We believe that exercise could half the cure time in some cases, and curing is not possible without it.
- Hemp fiber: This is a broad-spectrum supplement and a mild laxative.
- L-tyrosine: Tyrosine is a natural amino acid that helps the body produce its own thyroid hormone. This is also known to help with the depression that usually accompanies hypothyroidism. Most naturopaths recommend that 500 mg. be taken 2-3 times daily.
- L-arginine: Arginine is known to stimulate the thyroid and its hormones. It also improves immune function, improves fertility, and alleviates erectile dysfunction.
- Avoid all sources of fluoride: As already mentioned, fluoride suppresses the thyroid, and is likely to be the leading cause of hypothyroidism. Drink spring water, avoid soft drinks, use fluoride-free toothpaste, use a shower filter, and throw away non-stick cookware.
- Eat a natural diet: To help the body heal itself, remove burdens on its immune system. This means that all processed foods, artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, white flour, white sugar, table salt, hydrogenated oils, aluminum, high fructose corn syrup, and etcetera should be eliminated from the diet. Organic food is the ideal. Do not trust marketing that reads "all natural", because this phrase is intentionally unregulated, so that anyone may use it for anything. Read labels carefully.
- Iodine: The thyroid needs iodine to function properly, and lots of people now suffer from iodine deficiencies. To test yourself, place some iodine (we use 2%) on your stomach. Make a dot the size of a silver dollar (or twice the size of a British 50p). If it disappears within 12 hours, then you are iodine deficient. Keep adding iodine in increasing amounts, until it no longer disappears in a 12-hour period. This works due to the fact that the body transdermally absorbs iodine at the rate that it is needed. Do not use povidone iodine and do not orally consume iodine. This is an especially important precaution for those with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Red marine algae is the only means to safely orally supplement with iodine, but beware of other types of underwater vegetation. Baked fish is the safest and most natural way to consume iodine, but beware of bottom feeders, shell fish, krill, etc. Think kosher in regards to fish. Those with hyperthyroidism should not use iodine, because it could overdrive the thyroid, worsening the condition.
- Chlorophyll: Supplementing with chlorophyll provides essential copper, helps oxygenate the body, builds healthy red blood cells, and it overall assists with skin health. Chlorophyll is a safe method of orally supplementing with copper.
- Pears and apples: The ancient Chinese discovered that pears have a powerful tendency to balance hormones; especially in women. Pears help most when mixed with or juiced with apples. Try our pear juice recipe, and drink it regularly.
- Zinc and selenium: Studies indicate that severe zinc or selenium deficiencies can cause decreased thyroid hormone levels. Never take zinc on an empty stomach. Brazil nuts are high in zinc and selenium.
- Coconut oil: Buy organic, cold-pressed coconut oil from a health food store. Take about 1 teaspoon of it daily. You can also use it to cook with, but be warned that it smokes at low cooking temperatures, so it should only be used for low-heat cooking. Coconut oil speeds the metabolism, encourages production of the thyroid hormone, and kills candida yeast.
- Avoid canola oil: Canola oil interferes with the production of thyroid hormones, amongst its many other dangers. Treat canola oil like the genetically-engineered abomination that it is.
If depression becomes a serious problem, then sufferers may wish to read our article about eliminating depression naturally. Chronic constipation can be addressed by adding additional dietary fiber, such as psyllium or the superior hemp fiber. Sufferers will also want to take flax seed oil, and combine it with a food containing sulfur proteins; for example, goat cheese or eggs. This follows the Budwig Protocol's methodology, which decreases inflammation, increases oxygen intake, stimulates beneficial intestinal flora, and it provides a mild laxative effect.
Heavy metals and toxins can cause the thyroid to malfunction. This is particularly true in cases of Hashimoto's disease, wherein the thyroid is so poisoned that the immune system begins attacking it. Most people with thyroid disease will benefit from a heavy metal and liver cleanse, because thyroid impairment is generally the result of toxicity.
There is a lot of conflicting information regarding the application of iodine to treat Hashimoto's thyroiditis, so it is prudent that we comment. Dosage is especially important in these cases, as an overdose of iodine can cause the thyroid to shut down completely. However, a small amount of iodine does help this condition. Problems usually occur for those who take potassium iodide supplements, and those who take internal iodine drops. However, there is no evidence of adverse effects for those who moderately apply iodine transdermally. Applying iodine to the skin allows the body to regulate the iodine's absorption rate.